Keeping Your Water Clean By Preventing Pollution
Preventing pollution from entering streams in the first place is the only sure way of maintaining good water quality and habitat for aquatic life. Storm drains lead directly to our streams, so most of the pollution entering our streams comes from Rockville residents and businesses. Everyone can help prevent pollution and keep our water clean.
Things You Can Do To Prevent Pollution
- Never pour fats, oils or grease (FOGs) down the drain (PDF).
- Pick up after your pet. Read our pet waste brochure (PDF) for more information.
- Learn proper turf management and fertilizer use (PDF) and reduce pesticides (PDF) in your yard or garden.
- Properly dispose of the waste fluid and parts when working on your car.
- Use care when applying de-icers to your steps, driveways and sidewalks (PDF).
- See ways to reduce air pollution. What affects our air quality also affects our water.
- Learn how to properly dispose of pharmaceuticals and personal care products.
- Use a commercial car wash whenever possible. They properly dispose of the soapy water rather than letting it run into the storm drain.
- Before draining your pool for the season, let the pool water stand for five days without adding chlorine. This allows the chlorine to dissipate so it will not harm aquatic life in our streams. When draining the pool, let the water run slowly over your lawn. Do not place the hose directly in front of the storm drain inlet.