The City Clerk's Office provides administrative and clerical staff support for the Mayor and Council's Office; administers the City election; provides staff support to the Board of Supervisors of Elections and the Compensation Commission; and maintains up-to-date records for the City. For more information, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 240-314-8280.
Administrative and clerical staff support for the Mayor and Council's Office
- Handles routine correspondence, telephone calls, emails, and assistance to visitors.
- Facilitates calendar matters, through maintenance of a Social Log for the Mayor and Council and everyday management of the Mayor’s calendar.
- Facilitates travel details, including conference planning, reimbursements and maintenance of payment records.
Mayor and Council Meetings
- Coordinates agenda preparation and briefing materials.
- Attends all Mayor and Council meetings.
- Prepares minutes.
Charter and Rockville Code
- Prepares ordinances; resolutions; proclamations, certificates; updates; amendments to City Code and Charter; and dissemination of code and charter.
- Accepts filings.
- Publicizes public hearings.
- Publishes notifications.
- Prepares transcripts of proceedings.
- Maintains official records.
- Follows-up on actions taken (with state, federal, and other organizations).
- Issues bonds.
- Attests to all official documents/contracts.
- Maintains contracts file.
- Signs manual transactions.
- Prepares and maintains budget for City Clerk and Mayor and Council.
Boards and Commissions
- Provides information to citizens about the various functions of the Boards and Commissions and the appointment process.
- Advertises for appointments.
- Schedules appointments and reappointments on the Mayor and Council’s agenda, notifies boards and commission members of such and maintains a record of individual members’ tenure.
- Maintains minutes and attendance records as submitted by each Board and Commission.
- Facilitates professional development for members.
Elections Administration and Ethics Code
- Coordinates all aspects of the City election.
- Handles campaign finance reporting and annual financial disclosure reporting per the City’s Ethics Code.
- Provides staff support to Board of Supervisors of Elections and the City’s Compensation Commission (meets during election years).
- Coordinates the official inauguration ceremony for the newly elected Mayor and Council.
- Maintains the official records of the Mayor and Council, including all agendas, minutes, public hearing files, resolutions, ordinances, agreements, and contracts.
- Oversees the transfer and storage of records contained in the City’s archives.