Explore RockvilleHow Do I?
Click to Home
Go To Search
Rockville Connect
Sediment & Erosion Control

When do I need to obtain a sediment control permit? 

The City of Rockville's Sediment and Erosion Control Ordinance is administered by the Department of Public Works. Chapter 19, Article 5, Division 2 requires a sediment and erosion control permit for any Land Disturbing Activity that meets any of the following criteria:

  • Involves 5,000 square feet or more of Disturbed Land Area, or
  • Involves 100 cubic yards or more of Grading, or
  • Involves Land Disturbing Activity within a Stream Buffer, or
  • Involves the construction of a new Single Unit Detached Dwelling, Townhouse or Semi-Detached Dwelling Unit.

Resources for Builders
Permit and Requirements
Best Management Practices
Sediment Erosion Control Ordinance
Responsible Personnel "Green Card" 

Why does the City require a Sediment Control Permit?
  • Sediment overflowing silt fenceEnsure a good erosion and sediment control (ESC) plan is developed
  • Monitor the effectiveness of the ESC plan 
  • Ensure that ESC devices are being maintained to protect the environment  

*The Department may, at its sole discretion, require certain Land Disturbing Activities regardless of the amount of Land Disturbing Activity or Grading, follow this Ordinance and Regulations when it determines that the impact to the environment and/or the proximity of the Land Disturbing Activities to natural resources, a storm water system and/or a storm drainage system warrant special protection.

What is required under the permit? 

The City Of Rockville’s Sediment and Erosion Control Ordinance (Chapter 19, Article 5, Division 4) requires the applicant to:

  • During construction, the following must be kept onsite:
    • The approved Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
    • The City Sediment Control Permit
    • Copies of any other issued permits affecting sediment control
  • During Permit coverage the Applicant and/or Responsible Personnel (sediment control) must conduct self-inspections for compliance with the Approved Sediment Control Plan Permits at the following intervals:
    • Weekly
    • Within 24 hours after a significant precipitation event of .25” or more occurs
    • At the direction of the Department
  • Maintain all self-inspection reports conducted by the Applicant of Responsible Personnel at the Site.
  • Report any observed violations of this Ordinance to the Department within a reasonable amount of time.
  • Take reasonable measures to correct and/or mitigate for any violations of this Ordinance.
  • Maintain Site and Erosion Control Best Management Practices continuously

If you see large amounts of sediment leaving a construction site or if a stream appears to have been impacted by sediment contact the Environmental Management Division at 240-314-8870 or use the
online reporting form.

For general Erosion and Sediment Control inquiries contact:

Senior Sediment and Erosion Inspector

Dylan Drudul

111 Maryland Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850 

Ph: 240-314-8879
Fx: 240-314-8309

To report construction site runoff:

Ph: 240-314-8870
Report A Concern Online Form