Explore RockvilleHow Do I?
Click to Home
Go To Search
Rockville Connect
Eligibility Requirements

Stay informed by checking our website often, and subscribing to “Notify Me” to receive MPDU updates.

Eligibility Requirements and Applying for the MPDU Program
Each interested individual or family must complete and submit an MPDU application to the City. Households must meet income requirements. If you are determined to be eligible, you will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility.  This certificate is valid for two years from the date issued.

Income is evaluated based on gross household income per year. The current MPDU maximum income limits are:

  • 1 person family - $46,300
  • 2 person family - $52,900
  • 3 person family - $59,600
  • 4 person family - $66,200
  • 5 person family - $71,500

Where can I get an application for the MPDU program?
The MPDU application can be downloaded using the links below, or obtained in-person from the City of Rockville MPDU office at City Hall (111 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850), by calling the Department of Community Planning and Development Services at 240-314-8200, or by e-mailing a request to .

What documentation must be submitted with the application?
The applicant must complete the MPDU Program Application and include a copy of the most recent two years of federal income tax returns along with corresponding W-2s, copies of the two most recent pay stubs for every wage earner in the family, a completed Verification of Employment Form (see pgs. 3-4 of the MPDU Program Application), and documentation of other sources of income, such as child support/alimony, if applicable.

If an applicant cannot find copies of past income tax information, they need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.gov/individuals/Get-Transcript and request  the items that are missing(i.e., a Tax Return Transcript or a Wage and Income Transcript). If an applicant did not file a tax return because they were a student, a copy of a school transcript should be provided to show that the individual was a full-time student during the applicable tax year.

If a person is self-employed, what must be submitted in lieu of pay stubs?

If an applicant is self-employed, he or she must submit a year-to-date income and expense statement prepared by either the applicant or a financial professional.

Is there a minimum income for the program?
A household income of $22,000 is required for the MPDU program.  If an applicant provides evidence of savings to supplement his or her monthly income a lower income may be acceptable.

Does someone have to be a U.S. citizen to apply to the program?

No. If you are new to the U.S. and did not file taxes because you were not here during the previous two years, a copy of the first page of a passport and a copy of the passport page with the date of entry stamp must be submitted.

What types of units are available through the MPDU program?
Most units that will be available for rental and purchase under the Rockville MPDU program will be one and two bedroom apartments or condominiums. There have been three bedroom townhouses previously sold under the program that may become available in the future as resales. There are also a few studio or efficiency apartments in the rental inventory.  All MPDUs that currently come up for purchase are resales.

After a person submits an application for a Certificate of Eligibility, about how long does it take to receive the certificate?

It takes approximately five to seven business days to review the application. If an applicant meets the eligibility requirements, a MPDU Certificate will be mailed out within a week of the application being received by the City of Rockville. If an applicant does not receive a Certificate within two weeks, then it is appropriate to call to discuss the status of the application.

How long is a Certificate valid? When a Certificate expires, can it be renewed?

A Certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue and may be renewed. At the time of renewal, applicants must submit documentation that shows their household income still falls within the income limits of the MPDU program. To apply for renewal of an MPDU Certificate, all working adults in the household must have their employer(s) complete the Verification of Employment form (pg. 3 of the MPDU Program Application) and submit it to the City along with copies of the two most recent pay stubs for all working adults. All adults in the household must also submit their most recent federal income tax return along with corresponding W-2s. The City must receive the renewal request prior to the expiration of the MPDU Certificate.

If a person or family has an MPDU Certificate from Montgomery County, will the Rockville MPDU program recognize that certificate?
Once an individual or family has a certificate from the Montgomery County MPDU program, the City of Rockville will recognize that certificate and issue the holder a Rockville certificate. In order for a Rockville certificate to be processed, compete the "Montgomery County MPDU Certificate Holder Application to Request a City of Rockville MPDU Certificate" form and submit the first page of your lease or your MPDU certificate from the County.

Who is considered part of my household? In addition to my spouse and children, can I include my parents, siblings, or cousins?

Members of the household are children who are claimed as your dependents on your federal income taxes and other adults that live in your household or will being living with you in the MPDU.  In order to include your adult children who are in college or are students, your parents, siblings, or other relations as part of your household, they must have been claimed as dependents on your federal income taxes for at least one year or must provide income documentation to be included as part of the  household income.

Does a person renting an MPDU have to renew his/her certificate each year?
Beginning with leases renewing on or after October 1, 2015, the City will require households living in rental MPDUs to have a current MPDU Certificate of Eligibility. After October 1, 2015, renters will need to provide a current MPDU Certificate to their rental property manager in order to renew their lease.