What is Rockville University? Rockville University is a free, six-week citizen awareness program sponsored by the Mayor and Council and the City of Rockville. This program strives to teach Rockville residents about the city’s history, its government, and its neighborhoods. Through staff briefings, tours and a project, Rockville University will answer your questions about City government and help you develop the skills necessary to get involved in your community.
Why is it important?Everyone wants to be part of a healthy, functioning community. Rockville University works toward this goal by:
- Creating resident awareness and access to community resources
- Demystifying local government
- Humanizing public service
- Providing networking opportunities among residents, neighborhoods, and City officials and staff
- Cultivating new civic leaders
Who may attend?
Rockville University is open to any Rockville resident older than 16 who is curious about the dynamics of their community, likes hands-on learning, and enjoys having fun. Class size is limited to 30 people, and participants must be able to attend most classes.
Childcare will be provided on-site and free of charge on the weekdays.
What subjects will be covered, and what activities will take place?
- Hear about the history and demographics of Rockville
- Learn about the Council/Manager form of government
- Visit City facilities such as the Water Treatment Plant, Gude Drive Maintenance Facility, Rockville Senior Center, Rockville Municipal Swim Center, community recreation centers, and City parks
- Discover ways to get involved in your community and City Hall
- Find out what each City departments does and how it impacts you
- View course materials (Fall 2012 course materials)
How long are classes, and when do they take place?
Rockville University holds six sessions. The four weekday sessions last two hours and the two weekend field trip sessions last three hours.
View photos from 2012 Rockville University class!
When are classes?
Rockville University is typically held once a year in the fall. The 2013 session sechedule will be posted soon. If you would like to register online for the next session of Rockville University, call 240-314-8343 or email Orlando Heyliger.