About Property Boundaries

PLEASE NOTE: This information is intended to assist you in locating your property lines. All information is general in nature and should not be considered as legal advice or a substitute for a survey. A property line dispute is a legal issue between property owners. The City can assist you in providing information with your property lines adjacent to City property, easements and rights of way. The City does not resolve private property issues. Contact a Registered Maryland Land Surveyor for professional assistance in locating your property line and/or an attorney for legal advice.

Determining Your Property Line

The city does not locate private property boundaries for residents unless the property is adjacent to City of Rockville property, easements or rights of way. To accurately determine a property’s boundaries, it is best to hire a land surveyor. A survey by a Registered Maryland Land Surveyor can locate existing boundaries or set new property markers. The location of the property markers is usually shown on the subdivision plat for your neighborhood. Subdivision plats of properties in Rockville are available for review or purchase in the Public Works Department at Rockville City Hall. Plats also are available online through the Maryland Land Records website (login required). Property markers typically are not exposed and are found several inches below the surface. Land surveyors can locate the property markers in the field with a specialized metal detector.

To assist in determining your subdivision name, property's lot and block number, and subdivision plat number, if applicable, open the city's Property Information Interactive Online Map. For property details, click the SDAT Link for "More Info" on your property's pop-up window within the map.

Please Note: Property surveys may be necessary when acquiring some permits.

Your House Location Survey

When buying a home in Maryland, part of the process includes receiving a house location survey that will contain information regarding the boundary lines of your property. Physical evidence of your property lines can be difficult to find, but with the help of a registered land surveyor, who can use specialized equipment, locating the property markers can be done easily and accurately.

House location surveys for residential properties may also available at the Community Planning and Development Services Department, 2nd Floor, Rockville City Hall, 111 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850. For more information, please call 240-314-8200.

City or Park Property

Properties that border city property, parks, rights of way, easements or other government land can present a challenge in determining your property boundary. It is not acceptable for a homeowner to extend fences, build structures or encroach upon adjacent undeveloped park land or rights of way. This can lead to serious consequences to the homeowner, including fines, cost for removal of the structure(s) and lawsuits.

City Right of Way

City right of way (ROW) typically refers to the common boundary of your property line with a public street or alley. The city is responsible for the roads, sidewalks, utilities, street trees, etc. that fall within this right of way area. Rights of way are typically standard widths (40, 50, 60 feet, etc.) with 50 feet being most common for residential neighborhoods in Rockville.