While City Hall is closed during COVID-19, permits will be issued virtually using our virtual permit portal.
In preparation, download and complete the following applications to be uploaded to the portal.
- Residential Construction Application with Signature
- Architectural and Structural Checklist
- Road Tree Affidavit
All documents must be compressed to a size under 25MB. For questions, contact 240-314-8240.
Permits are required for various residential construction projects to new or existing structures including:
- Swimming pools.
- Garage or car port.
All construction projects must adhere to the City Code requirements.
MYGOVERNMENTONLINE Plan Submittal Requirements
Naming Convention - [house or building number] [street name] [#suite number if applicable] [name of the plans]. Example – 111marylandavenuebuildingplans or 111marylandavenue#suite200buildingplans
PDF files are strongly recommended for plans submissions. 1 file = 1 plan.
Please do not submit JPEG for plan submissions.
Plans should be submitted in black and white with no colors, to allow city staff to markup.
All drawings must be submitted in an unlocked PDF. If security settings are locked, city staff will be unable to edit, markup or approve.
Verification items such as trade licenses we can accept jpeg or tiffs image formats.
Note: There are no files size limitations for plan submission using mygovernmentonline.
Gather Additional DocumentationAdditional resources are required with the permit application.
You will need:
- Property Plot Plans. Use the Residential Submittal Checklist as a guide.
- Design drawings that include dimensions. Use the Architectural and Structural Checklist as a guide.
- Written approval from Homeowners Association, if applicable.
- Homeowner’s Authorization Letter