Priorities & Initiatives
A key function of the Mayor and Council is to establish a vision and priorities for the organization and for the community. These priority initiatives are framed within the Critical Success Factors that capture the Mayor and Council’s long term vision for the community.
Efficient and Effective City Service Delivery
Rockville is known for exceptional, personalized service delivery to residents and businesses, characterized by efficient, well documented processes that are administered equitably by a committed workforce of employees with a “can-do” attitude. The Mayor and Council together with Senior Management work well together as they govern the community. The city has talented leadership that ensures the city government is moving in the right direction.
- Finish Compensation and Classification Plan.
- Receive Senior Service Study and develop a multi-year implementation plan.
The Rockville Mayor and Council work well together to make decisions for the betterment of the city, and the city enjoys excellent relationships with Montgomery County, Montgomery College, Montgomery County Public Schools, the State of Maryland and other governmental entities. Rockville residents are engaged with the community, actively volunteer for boards and commissions and turn out the vote in city elections.
- Review the scope and role of the city’s boards and commissions and make appropriate changes; and review the systems and processes to create, appoint and sunset city boards and commissions.
- Review existing codes and policies based on the scoring of the Municipal Index done by the Human Rights Campaign and identify modifications to enhance LGBT non-discrimination.
- Reestablish office space for councilmembers
- Develop an open data initiative that includes all aspects of city governance
- Partner with other jurisdictions to meaningfully engage with MCPS, Montgomery County and the state to promote school construction.
Safe and Livable Neighborhoods
Rockville is a community of safe, diverse neighborhoods with well-kept homes and vital neighborhood centers. This is accomplished by the city’s commitment to public and pedestrian safety, diversity in housing, support for high quality education and well-maintained infrastructure and by providing city services that address the needs of all constituencies.
- Modify and incentivize the required percentage of various housing requirements (affordable/work force) in new development.
- Develop a plan to increase physical connectivity of neighborhoods.
- Beautify the concrete walls under the railroad tracks at Middle Lane and Park Road.
- Review and agree upon the scope of duties of the Rockville City Police Department and determine appropriate staffing.
- Adopt and implement Vision Zero and engage the community in implementing the vision.
The City of Rockville has a track record of fiscal stability evidenced by exemplary bond ratings, appropriate reserve planning, and well thought out and researched capital and operating plans.
Planning and Preservation
Honoring its history, the city strives to protect the integrity of each neighborhood and ensure the quality of life for its residents. Rockville is the epitome of well-planned communities that has constantly reinvented itself and handled increasing density and growth associated with being part of a major metropolitan area. Rockville is known for quality transit-oriented development. The city’s illustrious “Rockville Pike” is noted as a best practice application of multi-modal transportation planning and includes retail and housing opportunities for diverse populations.
- Examine the appropriateness of different development standards around Metro stations.
- Formulate the conditions under which Rockville can support bus rapid transit.
- Hire a consultant to conduct a feasibility study for a pilot trolley/streetcar program.
Informed and Engaged Residents
Rockville residents are involved with their community and take an active interest in city government by participating in city activities, serving on boards and commissions, voting in municipal elections, and engaging in city governance. The city ensures residents have access to information about city services and current issues, and reaches out to all populations through the innovative use of all media.
- Increase the city’s proactive outreach to diverse populations.
Rockville has an enviable business climate built on the success of its multi-phased Town Center, Rockville Pike, and neighborhood commercial centers. The community enjoys a balance of commercial and residential development, small and large businesses and is characterized by mixed use development. New investment is encouraged by the city’s innovative business incubators and the development community is supported by an efficient development process that balances and respects private and community interests in the process.
- Formulate a policy on economic incentives and develop supportive programs.
- Explore mechanisms to encourage neighborhood shopping center revitalization and explore additional zoning and uses.
Stewardship of Infrastructure
Rockville maintains and enhances existing city infrastructure (i.e. roads, bridges, water and sewer systems, buildings, fleet, amenities, etc.), and while planning for future needs, makes fiscally sound decisions for the long term health of the city. The city strives to be an environmentally sustainable community that preserves its green spaces and continually reevaluates ways to reduce its environmental footprint.
- Establish a task force to settle King Farm Farmstead.
- Adopt a sustainable fleet policy.
- Create a community climate action plan developed by a citizens task force.