While City Hall is closed during COVID-19, some permits and licenses will be issued virtually using our virtual permit portal.
Residential fence permits can be applied for online.
For construction fence permits, apply using our virtual permit portal.
All documents must be compressed to a size under 25MB. For questions, contact 240-314-8240.
A fence permit is required for properties within the City of Rockville fixing or putting up a new fence.
- Don't start work without an approved permit. A violation could result in a code enforcement violation with a penalty fee.
- Add details to the fence description including height, material, number or gates, etc.
Fence standards are located in Article 9, Section 25.09.05(2) of the Rockville Zoning Ordinance.
MYGOVERNMENTONLINE Plan Submittal Requirements
Naming Convention - [house or building number] [street name] [#suite number if applicable] [name of the plans]. Example – 111marylandavenuebuildingplans or 111marylandavenue#suite200buildingplans
PDF files are strongly recommended for plans submissions. 1 file = 1 plan.
Please do not submit JPEG for plan submissions.
Plans should be submitted in black and white with no colors, to allow city staff to markup.
All drawings must be submitted in an unlocked PDF. If security settings are locked, city staff will be unable to edit, markup or approve.
Verification items such as trade licenses we can accept jpeg or tiffs image formats.
Note: There are no files size limitations for plan submission using mygovernmentonline.
Gather Additional MaterialsAdditional resources are required with the permit application.
You will need:
- One copy of the property plot plan showing the location and height of the proposed fence.
- One copy of to-scale design drawings that include dimensions and house location.
- Written approval from Homeowners Association, if applicable.
- Letter from owner authorizing contractor to apply for permit if unlicensed contractor applies for the permit on the owner's behalf
Complete Permit ApplicationFences can be applied for online
Fence permit fee is $38.00
Schedule an InspectionAfter construction, schedule an inspection to ensure safety and code standards.
To schedule an inspection, log into MGO. Go to My Account and scroll down to My Permits. Click the Request button net to the permit for which you wish to schedule an inspection.