A fence permit is required for properties within the City of Rockville fixing or putting up a new fence.
- Don't start work without an approved permit. A violation could result in a code enforcement violation with a penalty fee.
- Add details to the fence description including height, material, number or gates, etc.
Fence standards are located in Article 9, Section 25.09.05(2) of the Rockville Zoning Ordinance.
Gather Additional MaterialsAdditional resources are required with the permit application.
You will need:
- Three copies of the property plot plan showing the location and height of the proposed fence. One copy including the same information if submitting electronically.
- Three copies of to-scale design drawings that include dimensions and house location. One copy if submitting electronically.
- Written approval from Homeowners Association, if applicable.
- Roadside Tree Affidavit
- Letter from owner authorizing contractor to apply for permit.
Complete Permit ApplicationComplete the fence permit application and submit application, additional materials and permit fee at:
City Hall, second floor
111 Maryland Ave.
Rockville, MD 20850
Residential fences can be applied for online
Fence permit fee is $37.00
Electronic Submission of Commercial Fence Applications
The City of Rockville Planning and Development Services has temporarily allowed for the submittal and review of commercial fence applications while City Hall is shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Note: we will accept electronic applications only while City Hall is shutdown. We will return to standard practice once the state of emergency has been lifted and operations return to normal.
To submit electronic applications, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your completed application, plans and supporting documents. Each item should be a separate .pdf file. File names should reflect the content of the file (Applications, Plans, etc).
Schedule an InspectionAfter construction, schedule an inspection to ensure safety and code standards.
To schedule an inspection, call our 24-hour Voice Permits™ IVR System at 240-314-5040. Have your site-specific permit number and inspection code ready.