Charles Hungerford's tavern was the site of some of the most important events in the history of Montgomery County. Three months prior to the Continental Congress in 1774, local citizens met at Hungerford Tavern to protest oppressive actions of the British Parliament. The first election of County officials was held here when the County was organized in 1776, and the tavern was the location of the first County court from 1777 to 1779.
Hungerford Tavern was owned by Joseph Willson from 1786 to 1791 and by his granddaughter, Susan Russell, in the 1840s. Archeological digs were conducted at this site in 1973 and 1987. Artifacts retrieved from these digs are displayed by Peerless Rockville in the Red Brick Courthouse.
Hungerford Tavern was 1 1/2 stories and made of logs chinked with clay. There were four rooms in the main building, one of which had a large fireplace with a hook to hang pots for cooking food. Whipping posts, a pillory, and stocks were located behind the tavern before a jail was built. Hungerford Tavern continued to be a landmark for more than 100 years, serving at different times as an inn, meeting place, election place, and, eventually, a private home. The building was demolished in 1913 for a new Baptist church and parsonage.
Direction to the next stop: Cross South Washington Street, and turn right to cross West Jefferson Street again. Take a left on West Jefferson Street and stop 7 (Adam Robb’s Tavern) will be along the landscape wall of the new District Court Building.
Please note: The plaque for stop 7 is also part of the Rockville African American Heritage walking tour.