- About Rockville
- Beall-Dawson House
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, Clerk of the Montgomery County Court. It is a 2 1/2 story brick Federal-style home distinguished by elegant, highstyle architecture that was more common in Georgetown where the family first lived. It stood out from the more typical and smaller Rockville log and clapboard houses at the time. Now owned by the City of Rockville, it is operated as a museum by the Montgomery County Historical Society. The museum features period rooms containing 18th and 19th century furnishings and changing exhibitions on topics relating to Montgomery County history and material culture.
The Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine, ca. 1850, is a one-room doctor's office built for and used by Dr. Edward E. Stonestreet from 1852 to 1903. It contains exhibits on 19th century medicine and the life of a country doctor. The building originally stood in front of Dr. Stonestreet's home at Monroe Street and East Montgomery Avenue. It was donated to the Montgomery County Historical Society and moved to the complex in 1972. The building had many uses including a museum, the first public library in Rockville, and a ticket office for the Rockville Fair.
Return to the Historic Rockville Story Map
Directions to the next stop: Continue south on North Adams Street, then turn right on West Montgomery Avenue in front of the Beall-Dawson House, take a left at West Jefferson Street, and walk into the church driveway to stop 13 (Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery), which is located inside the church cemetery.