County's Proposed Restoration Center and Bus Depot at 1541 Seven Locks Road
The Mayor and Council oppose Montgomery County’s plans to house a future Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Criminal Justice Complex and restoration center, and plans for a Montgomery County Public Schools/Ride On bus depot, on a 25.8-acre detention facility site on Seven Locks Road.
“[W]e remain vigorously opposed to the placement of the Restoration Center as currently proposed adjacent to any neighborhood, in this case, the County’s property at Seven Locks Road abutting and adjacent to 8 Rockville neighborhoods,” an Aug. 9 letter from the Mayor and Council to the Montgomery County Council and Executive Marc Elrich states.
“Residents in the neighborhoods close to the County’s property have become alerted to these proposed uses, and they have continually expressed strong opposition due to their numerous concerns about the negative impact on public safety, noise and air pollution, and traffic congestion.”
The demolition would allow space to relocate an MCPS bus depot from 16651 Crabbs Branch Way in Derwood. It would also allow for other uses, such as the restoration center, which would provide crisis stabilization and service referrals for people experiencing a behavioral health crisis.
While acknowledging the need to relocate the bus depot, the Mayor and Council “oppose the proposed Seven Locks Road location which would place approximately 270 school buses and about 50 Ride‐On buses immediately adjacent to 8 neighborhoods.”
According to the county’s Fiscal Year 2023 capital budget, the preliminary plans include demolition of several structures and “planning, design, and renovation/modification” of the site at 1307 Seven Locks Road, which was built in 1961.
- Aug. 1, 2022: Proposed Bus Depot and Restoration Facility Letter to County.
- July 18, 2022: Discussion of draft letter of opposition.
- July 11, 2022: Direction to city staff to prepare letter of opposition.
- Feb. 28, 2022: Presentation by Montgomery County regarding their plans for properties located along Seven Locks Road, including a proposed bus depot.
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County after Seven Locks Road community forum, October 27, 2022
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County on opposition to bus depot and a restoration center at Seven Locks Detention Center site, August 9, 2022
- Letter from Mayor and Council to MCPS Superintendent requesting additional information regarding relocation of the MCPS bus depot, August 2, 2022
- Letter from Montgomery County to City Manager on the bus depot and restoration center at Seven Locks Detention Center site, June 17, 2022
- Certificate of Approval from Historic District Commission for Demolition at 1307 Seven Locks Road, September 2, 2022
- Minutes of the Historic District Commission Meeting, May 19, 2022
- Historic District Commission Staff Report: Evaluation of Significance for Demolition at 1307 Seven Locks Road, May 12, 2022
- City Staff Report to Mayor and Council, July 11, 2022 (pages 9-62)
- City Staff Report to Mayor and Council, February 28, 2022 (pages 4-14)
- FY 23 Approved CIP Bus Depot and Maintenance Relocation (Montgomery County PDF)
- FY 23 Approved CIP Restoration Center (Montgomery County PDF)
- FY 23 Approved CIP Detention Center Partial Demolition and Renovation (Montgomery County PDF)
- Restoration Center Update (Montgomery County PowerPoint Presentation)
- Seven Locks Redevelopment (Montgomery County PowerPoint Presentation)
- Program of Requirements for Montgomery County Restoration Center (Montgomery County PDF)