- Community Planning and Development Services
- County's Proposed Restoration Center at 1451 Seven Locks Road
County's Proposed Restoration Center at 1451 Seven Locks Road
The Mayor and Council oppose Montgomery County’s plans, as currently proposed, to house a future Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Criminal Justice Complex and restoration center on a 25.8-acre County-owned detention facility site at 1451 Seven Locks Road.
“[W]e remain vigorously opposed to the placement of the Restoration Center as currently proposed adjacent to any neighborhood, in this case, the County’s property at Seven Locks Road abutting and adjacent to 8 Rockville neighborhoods,” an Aug. 9 letter from the Mayor and Council to the Montgomery County Council and Executive Marc Elrich states.
“Residents in the neighborhoods close to the County’s property have become alerted to these proposed uses, and they have continually expressed strong opposition due to their numerous concerns about the negative impact on public safety, noise and air pollution, and traffic congestion.”
The demolition would allow space for the restoration center, which would provide crisis stabilization and service referrals for people experiencing a behavioral health crisis.
A proposed bus depot is no longer part of the plan for the site, the County announced at an Oct. 6, 2022 town hall meeting. While acknowledging the County's need to provide for a bus depot, the Mayor and Council “oppose[d] the proposed Seven Locks Road location which would place approximately 270 school buses and about 50 Ride‐On buses immediately adjacent to 8 neighborhoods.”
- Dec. 6, 2022: Follow-up letter to County requesting response to Oct. 27 letter.
- Oct. 27, 2022: Letter to County after community forum.
- Oct. 6, 2022: Montgomery County holds community forum on restoration center.
- Aug. 1, 2022: Proposed Bus Depot and Restoration Facility Letter to County.
- July 18, 2022: Discussion of draft letter of opposition.
- July 11, 2022: Direction to City staff to prepare letter of opposition.
- Feb. 28, 2022: Presentation by Montgomery County regarding their plans for properties located along Seven Locks Road, including a proposed bus depot.
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County requesting a date for the next community meeting, March 3, 2023
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County requesting response to Oct. 27 letter, December 6, 2022
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County after Seven Locks Road community forum, October 27, 2022
- Letter from Mayor and Council to Montgomery County on opposition to bus depot and a restoration center at Seven Locks Detention Center site, August 9, 2022
- Letter from Mayor and Council to MCPS Superintendent requesting additional information regarding relocation of the MCPS bus depot, August 2, 2022
- Letter from Montgomery County to City Manager on the bus depot and restoration center at Seven Locks Detention Center site, June 17, 2022
- Responses to Questions Received at the October 6, 2022 Community Forum on Restoration Center
- Certificate of Approval from Historic District Commission for Demolition at 1307 Seven Locks Road, September 2, 2022
- Minutes of the Historic District Commission Meeting, May 19, 2022
- Historic District Commission Staff Report: Evaluation of Significance for Demolition at 1307 Seven Locks Road, May 12, 2022
- City Staff Report to Mayor and Council, July 11, 2022 (pages 9-62)
- City Staff Report to Mayor and Council, February 28, 2022 (pages 4-14)
- FY 24 Approved CIP Bus Depot and Maintenance Relocation (Montgomery County PDF)
- FY 24 Approved CIP Restoration Center (Montgomery County PDF)
- FY 24 Approved CIP Criminal Justice Complex
- FY 24 Approved CIP Detention Center Partial Demolition and Renovation (Montgomery County PDF)
- Restoration Center Update (Montgomery County PowerPoint Presentation)
- Seven Locks Redevelopment (Montgomery County PowerPoint Presentation)
- Program of Requirements for Montgomery County Restoration Center (Montgomery County PDF)