- Permits & Inspections
- Permit Catalog
- Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing
Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing
While City Hall is closed during COVID-19, our permits will be issued virtually.
All documents must be compressed to a size under 25MB. For questions, contact 240-314-8240.
Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing permits are also required for residential work. In some cases, homeowners may secure a permit and do the work themselves. Plumbers and Electricians performing work in the city are required to have their work inspected. Plumbers must hold a valid master license with this division. Electricians must hold a valid master license with the state. Heating and cooling contractors with a Mechanical permit may perform furnace and air conditioning work.
Work requiring a permit:
Electrical (excluding plugged appliances)
- Heavy-up electrical service.
- Adding new electrical fixtures and outlets.
- Adding new electrical appliances.
- Installing baseboard or other electric heating sources Installing exhaust fans and attic fans.
- Adding, replacing or relocating plumbing fixtures.
- Repairing or replacing water lines Repairing or replacing sewer lines.
- Any changes in fixture piping Installation or replacement of water heaters.
- Installing or replacing a furnace.
- Installing or replacing an air conditioning unit.
- Adding, replacing or relocating ducts, diffusers or grilles.
MYGOVERNMENTONLINE Plan Submittal Requirements
Naming Convention - [house or building number] [street name] [#suite number if applicable] [name of the plans]. Example – 111marylandavenuebuildingplans or 111marylandavenue#suite200buildingplans
PDF files are strongly recommended for plans submissions. 1 file = 1 plan.
Please do not submit JPEG for plan submissions.
Plans should be submitted in black and white with no colors, to allow city staff to markup.
All drawings must be submitted in an unlocked PDF. If security settings are locked, city staff will be unable to edit, markup or approve.
Verification items such as trade licenses we can accept jpeg or tiffs image formats.
Note: There are no files size limitations for plan submission using mygovernmentonline.
Permits and Inspections
Rockville, MD 20850
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing Permits
Apply for Residential Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing Permit