Use this form to report an abandoned vehicle that is located within corporate city limits of Rockville. A vehicle may only be reported as abandoned if it meets one of the following legal criteria:
- The vehicle is both inoperable and left unattended on public property for more than 48 consecutive hours
- The vehicle has remained illegally on public property for a period of 48 consecutive hours
- The vehicle does not have a valid registration, license plate and has been left unattended on, or along, a public highway
- The vehicle has remained on private property without the consent of the property owner or person in control of the property for more than 48 consecutive hours.
Please include as much information as you can in the form below. Incomplete or inaccurate information will delay processing of this complaint and may compromise our ability to quickly remove this automobile.
After we receive your report and confirm the information, we are required by law to contact the vehicle's owner, inform them that their vehicle is considered abandoned, and provide them with two days (48 hours) to remove the automobile from the highway before we are authorized to tow it. If, following the two-day waiting period, the owner has not brought their vehicle into compliance with the law, the Police Department will make arrangements to have the vehicle removed.
The Police Department contracts with private tow companies for the purpose of removing abandoned automobiles. Once the two-day waiting period has lapsed, tow companies are given towing orders for automobiles that are still in violation.
These vehicles are subsequently towed by these tow companies as their schedule permits.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field