Department of Public Works
Holiday Collection | Cart Sizes | FAQ | FAQ in Chinese | FAQ in Korean
En español | Preguntas frecuentes
Rockville residents receive one wheeled brown cart for all recyclables and one wheeled gray cart for refuse, along with a program guide. They should be used for recycling and refuse collection. Watch a video or series of videos to learn more, or call 240-314-8568.
View the 2013 Recycling and Refuse Collection Day Callendar
View a PDF of the Recycling and Refuse Guide | Spanish | Chinese | Korean
- Single-Stream Recycling - Collected at the curb in the City-provided brown cart on your collection day.
Carts must be out by 6 a.m.
- Refuse – Collected at the curb in the City-provided gray cart on your collection day. Carts must be out by
- Yard Waste - Grass clippings are collected at the curb in biodegradable paper bags or easily emptied 32-gallon, rigid containers on your collection day. Brush and branches are collected at the curb; lengths must not be more than 8 feet and 2 feet in diameter. All must be out by 6 a.m.
- Spring and Fall Leaf Collection - Leaves must be raked to the curb by 6 a.m. on your collection dates. Sticks and all other objects need to be removed from the leaf piles. Leaves should not be bagged.
- Special Bulk Refuse Collections – All refuse items that do not fit into your gray refuse carts, including bulky items such as furniture. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment. Residents receive six special collections annually.
- Metal Recycling – All large metal items that do not fit into your brown recycling carts, including such items as appliances. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment. Residents receive unlimited collections of large metal items.
- Hazardous Items - Call 240-314-8568 for a collection appointment and instructions.
- Electronics - Collected at the curb. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment.
- Removal of Dead Animals - Call Animal Control at 240-314-8930.
- If You Move - Please remember that carts are the property of the City. If you are moving from your home, call 240-314-8568 to arrange for your carts to be picked up. There will be a charge for carts that are not returned. Charges for carts that are not recovered are as follows: 32-gallon, $39.87; 48-gallon, $42.87; 64-gallon, $44.87; 96-gallon, $50.20.
- Back Door Collection - Residents who are unable to move their carts to the curb can apply for back door service. (Must re-apply for this service each year.)
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Recycling and Refuse Division at 240-314-8568 or e-mail at email@example.com. More information on reducing, reusing, recycling in Rockville is available in the Sustainable Rockville section of our Web site.
Recycling and refuse WILL NOT be collected on the following City holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Please note: If a holiday falls on a weekday and your regularly scheduled collection day is on or after the holiday, your collection will shift to the following day. Friday collections will be done on Saturday.
Recycling and refuse carts are available in four sizes. The carts are on wheels and have an attached flip-open lid.
(equivalent to one-and-a-half blue recycling bins)
|24.25"L x 19.25"W|
|23 lbs||112 lbs|
(equivalent to two blue recycling bins)
|28.75"L x 23.50"W|
|26 lbs||168 lbs|
(equivalent to three blue recycling bins)
|31.75"L x 24.25"W|
|29 lbs||224 lbs|
(equivalent to four-and-a-half blue recycling bins)
|35.25"L x 29.75"W|
|35 lbs||335 lbs|
Choose carts to accommodate the largest recycling/refuse weeks of the year, such as holidays or when hosting guests. Please note:
- The City has expanded its recycling program and now takes more items than it did previously. You may need more recycling capacity than in the past. All recyclables, including paper, cardboard, glass, plastics and cans will be placed into your new brown recycling cart.
- Some households may need more than one cart. To request an additional cart, call 240-314-8568. A second cart cannot be requested online.
If you have any questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call:
| - Recycling/Refuse Collection ||240-314-8568|
| - Recycling/Refuse Collection (TDD) ||240-314-8137|
| - Citizen Service Request Coordinator ||240-314-8139|
| - Explosives, Ammunition: Rockville City Police ||240-314-8900 |
| - Dead Animals: City Animal Control ||240-314-8930 |