Historic District Commission
The Historic District Commission (HDC) was created by the Mayor and Council in 1966 for the purpose of recommending the boundaries of districts that are deemed to be of historic or architectural value to the city of Rockville and with reviewing applications for construction or exterior alterations in the historic districts. The establishment of historic districts, as stated in the Land Use Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland, Title 8, Section 8-201, shall be for the purpose of:
- Safeguarding the heritage of Rockville by preserving districts which reflect its cultural, social, economic, political or architectural history
- Stabilizing and improving property values within these districts Fostering civic beauty
- Strengthening the local economy
- Promoting the use and preservation of historic districts for the education, welfare and pleasure of the residents of Rockville
The five HDC Commissioners are appointed for three-year staggered terms.
Contact the Historic District Commission by email at HistoricDistrict@rockvillemd.gov.
Meetings are open to the public and televised live on Rockville Channel 11.
Upcoming Workshop: Rehab Your Historic Home
The Historic District Commission will hold a virtual historic tax credit workshop, Tuesday, Sept. 27, alongside the Maryland Historical Trust and Montgomery County Historic Preservation Department.
The workshop will be held via WebEx at 7:00 p.m.
Guest speakers will be Dana Marks, a preservation officer with Tax Credit Programs of the Maryland Historical Trust, and Michael Kyne, a cultural resources planner with the Historic Preservation Section of the Montgomery County Planning Department.
Learn about federal, state and local preservation tax credits available to encourage investment in the rehabilitation and reuse of historic buildings, including:
- Basic information about each tax credit program.
- What properties are eligible for the county, state, and federal tax credit programs.
- What projects and expenses are eligible for tax credits.
- How to prepare a county and/or state tax credit application.
For more information, contact 240-314-8236 or email@example.com.
2022 Meeting Calendar
|Meeting Date||Application Due Date|
|January 20, 2022||December 17, 2021|
|February 17, 2022||January 14, 2022|
|March 17, 2022||February 11, 2022|
|April 21, 2022||March 18, 2022|
|May 19, 2022||April 15, 2022|
|June 16, 2022||May 13, 2022|
|July 21, 2022||June 17, 2022|
|September 15, 2022||August 12, 2022|
|October 20, 2022||September 16, 2022|
|November 17, 2022||October 14, 2022|
|December 15, 2022||November 11, 2022|
|Anita Neal Powell||July 1, 2022|
|Mercy Shenge||January 1, 2023|
|Michael Goldfinger||November 1, 2023|
|Peter Fosselman||February 1, 2025|