Property Boundaries

The information on this page is intended to assist you in locating your property boundaries and should not be considered as legal advice or a substitute for a survey.

Property Boundary Disputes

A property boundary dispute is a legal issue between property owners. The City of Rockville does not resolve private property issues. Contact a Registered Maryland Land Surveyor for professional assistance in locating your property boundaries and/or an attorney for legal advice.

Determining Your Property Boundaries

The City of Rockville does not locate private property boundaries for residents unless the property is adjacent to city property, easements, or rights-of-way. To accurately locate existing property boundaries or set new property markers, contact a Registered Maryland Land Surveyor.

The location of the property markers is usually shown on the subdivision plat for your neighborhood. Subdivision plats of properties in Rockville are available for review or purchase in the Department of Public Works. Plats are also available online through the Maryland Land Records website (login required). Property markers typically are not exposed and are found several inches below the surface. Land surveyors can locate the property markers in the field with a specialized metal detector.

To assist in determining your subdivision name, property's lot and block number, and subdivision plat number, if applicable, open the city's Property Information map. For property details, click the SDAT Link for "More Info" on your property's pop-up window within the map.

House Location Survey

When buying a home in Maryland, part of the process includes receiving a house location survey that will contain information regarding your property boundaries. Physical evidence of your property boundaries can be difficult to find, but with the help of a registered land surveyor, who can use specialized equipment, locating the property markers can be done easily and accurately. House location surveys for residential properties may also be available at the Department of Community Planning and Development Services.

City or Park Property

Properties that border city property, parks, rights-of-way, easements, or other government land can present a challenge in determining your property boundaries. It is not acceptable for a homeowner to extend fences, build structures, or encroach upon adjacent undeveloped park land or rights-of-way. This can lead to serious consequences to the homeowner, including fines, cost for removal of the structure(s), and lawsuits.

City Right-of-Way

City right-of-way typically refers to the common boundary of your property line with a public street or alley. The city is responsible for the roads, sidewalks, utilities, street trees, etc. that fall within this right-of-way area. Rights-of-way are typically standard widths (40, 50, 60 feet, etc.) with 50 feet being most common for residential neighborhoods in Rockville.