The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Queer/Questioning Plus (LGBTQ+) Pride Month is celebrated in the United States to commemorate the Stonewall Riots, which occurred at the end of June 1969. The commemorative month also recognizes the impact LGBTQ+ individuals have had on history—locally, nationally, and internationally.
The City of Rockville has issued proclamations declaring LGBTQ+ Pride Month since June 2017. The City will celebrate 2021 PRIDE month with a panel discussion titled “Coming Out to Your Community”.
Rockville celebrates Pride Month in June. This year, the City of Rockville’s Human Rights Commission will celebrate the fourth annual Rockville Pride with:
- Rockville Mayor and Council declare June as LGBTQ+ Pride Month.
- A virtual panel discussion on Saturday, June 12, at 2 p.m. featuring community leaders and students, who will provide resources and share experiences. An event link and call-in information can be found on the City of Rockville calendar.
- Instagram posts, created by HRC student ambassadors, from June 21-26 at @city_of_rockville.
Local Events for Pride Month
Montgomery County has organized a list of in-person and virtual events to celebrate Pride Month. Register here for any of the events listed below:
- Saturday, June 12 at 12 p.m. - Puppy Pride at Bark Social in North Bethesda
- Wednesday, June 16 at 7 p.m. - LGBTQ+ Housing and Homelessness Conversation (via Zoom)
- Saturday, June 19 at 2 p.m. - Juneteenth Celebration and Black Girl Magic Stories
- Saturday and Sunday, June 19-20 - Takoma Park "Show Your Pride" Weekend
- Saturday, June 26 at 11 a.m. - MoCo Pride Drag Brunch at Bark Social
- Tuesday, June 29 at 9 a.m. - Youth Writers Showcase
- Wednesday, June 30 at 7 p.m. - Book discussion with Chasten Buttigieg, author of “I Have Something to Tell You.” (via Zoom) Buttigieg is married to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg.
For ADA modifications, please contact the city’s Americans with disabilities coordinator at 240-314-8108, email@example.com, TTY 240-314-8137 or Relay 711 by June 1.