- City Projects
- Climate Action Plan
Climate Action Plan
The City of Rockville is embarking on a process to develop its first Climate Action Plan, a Mayor and Council priority initiative, to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and prepare the community to adapt to a changing climate. We are striving to reflect the viewpoints, priorities and needs of all Rockville residents, neighborhoods and businesses.
What is a Climate Action Plan?
The Climate Action Plan (CAP) will provide a road map to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and prepare the community to adapt to a changing climate. The project will work with community stakeholders, staff and a technical consultant to develop a strategic plan for approval by the Mayor and Council to guide future city policies, programs, plans and investments over the next five to 10 years.
Planning efforts will focus on two main concepts:
Rockville’s greenhouse gas emissions are mainly derived from energy used by the transportation and buildings sectors. The CAP will recommend a list of feasible mitigation actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the community and municipal operations.
Rockville is already experiencing the effects of climate change in the form of heavier downpours, more intense heatwaves, and higher incidences of severe storms. These effects have implications on our infrastructure, our economy, and public health. The CAP will evaluate Rockville’s climate-related risks and vulnerabilities and work with community stakeholders to improve community adaptation and resiliency.
What is the process?
Community engagement is needed to develop a successful plan that fosters awareness, buy-in, and identifies creative opportunities to equitably reduce emissions and build community resiliency. Throughout the year, we will be reaching out to the community, through online surveys, discussions with various boards and commissions, and hosting a virtual open house to identify the community’s challenges and goals and prioritize local viable strategies and actions.
A Commitment to Equity
The city is committed to a climate action planning process, plan, and policy decisions that incorporate social equity and consider residents that are most vulnerable to climate change. We’re looking for community partners to help us engage with all members of our community in this planning process. Help us by sharing the survey and website with your neighbors.
- Climate Action Plan Survey open Tuesday, Sept. 1 to Sunday, Feb. 28, 2021.
- Monday, Sept. 21: Presentation to the Mayor and Council.
- Engage with boards and commissions and members of the community.
- Virtual Climate Action Plan Open House: 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17. Agenda
- Virtual Climate Office Hours: Various dates.
- Finalize city climate resiliency analysis.
- Consultant analyzes cost-benefit/co-benefits of actions.
- Develop the Draft Climate Mitigation and Resiliency Actions List for initial feedback.
- Rockville Draft Climate Action Plan Update July 22, 7-8:30pm. Watch the web meeting.
- Mayor and Council review plan October 4, 2021.
- Draft Climate Action Plan available for public comment following the October 4 meeting.
- Mayor and Council adopts Final Plan.