Financial Assistance

    All applicants must first apply at Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

    Call DHHS Housing Stabilization for emergency eviction prevention/Rx assistance at 240-777-4550. Call DHHS Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) for electric/gas/water utility assistance at 240-777-4450.

    Montgomery County DHHS will submit a referral to the City of Rockville Community Services Division on behalf of eligible city residents.

We understand that hard times happen and we offer assistance programs to individuals and families in need of temporary relief.

Types of Assistance:

  • Evictions.
  • Utility shut-off.
  • Prescription medications.

Contact the Housing Programs Division for program eligibility and additional assistance opportunities.

Still have questions? Contact: 
Housing & Community DEvelopment
Jane Lyons-Raeder
111 Maryland Ave.
Rockville, MD 20850
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. Rockville resident for a minimum of 6-months. Not all Rockville addresses are considered residents. Check to see if you're a resident.
  2. Applicants seeking rent assistance must have a current eviction notice, and applicants seeking utility assistance must have a current utility shut-off notice.
  3. Demonstrate financial need due to loss of employment, ongoing financial difficulty, loss of family wage earner, unexpected medical bills, or other financial emergency.

Application Process

Before receiving assistance through the City of Rockville, residents must first apply for emergency assistance at Montgomery County. If applicable, you will be referred to Rockville for a REAP application to be processed. Please note that Montgomery County does not cover payments to third party utility vendors. If you have a third party utility provider, you will still need a referral from the County before scheduling an appointment with the City of Rockville.

If you have received a referral, schedule an appointment by calling 240-314-8300.

Helpful Benefit Information Resources During the COVID-19 Emergency

While Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services Office of Eligibility and Support Services is closed to walk-in services, drop boxes for paper applications and documents are available at all sites, and services are available through online applications.

  • Apply at myDHR.
  • Call OESS at 240-777-1003, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. · Visit the DHHS website for information on applying for SNAP and other financial assistance benefits.
  • Call the DHHS for emergency eviction/utilities/Rx assistance: 240-777-4550.

For help in applying for SNAP or other benefits, call:

  • The Maryland Benefits Center: 1-833-373-5867.
  • Maryland Hunger Solutions: 1-866-821-5552.
  • Spanish Catholic Center: 301-453-5560.

Drop off completed applications and required documents at drop-off boxes at DHHS offices. Drop boxes are available in the Rockville area at:

  • 1301 Piccard Drive, Rockville.
  • 1401 Rockville Pike, Rockville.
  • 401 Hungerford Drive, Rockville (medical assistance applications only).

Other Resources

[Each agency has information on their sites about eligibility requirements and how to apply.]

The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance


Maryland Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

Income-eligible households may receive one-time assistance up to $2,000 for past-due water bills. Submit applications to Montgomery County DHHS - 1301 Piccard Drive, 4th Floor, Rockville, MD 20850.

Three people sitting at an office desk

Senior Assistance

For Rockville residents over 60 years in need of less than $200 in prescription costs contact Housing & Community Development Department (HCD) at 240-314-8300.

For counseling, food and other assistance, visit the Rockville Senior Center for available services.

Prescription Resources