- City Government
- Voting & Elections
Voting & Elections
The City of Rockville conducts elections for Mayor and Council in four-year cycles. In 2023, Rockville will conduct a vote-by-mail election for mayor and six councilmembers.
Ballots must be returned to City Hall by mail or in person. All ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, November 7, 2023. Ballots will be mailed to all registered voters who live within Rockville city limits.
Voters can return their ballots in the provided envelope by prepaid mail or by delivering them to a secure ballot drop box. Two outdoor drop boxes will be located at City Hall and Montrose Community Center. Four indoor drop boxes will be located at the Senior Center, Lincoln Park Community Center, Twinbrook Community Center, and Thomas Farm Community Center only during hours of operation. Voters are not required to go to the ballot box to vote.
Key Election Dates
- May 1, 2023: The Candidate Information Election Packet will be available.
- October 13, 2023: Ballots mailed to registered voters on or before October 13.
- November 7, 2023: Election Day. Completed ballots must be received by 8 p.m., in person at City Hall or by mail.
Be Sure Your Ballot Gets to You:
Three Ways to Vote
- By Mail: Ballots will be mailed to every registered voter. Return your postage-paid ballot to the city by 8 p.m. on November 7.
- 24/7 Drop Box: Drop off your completed ballot anytime at an Election Drop Box, located in the parking lot of City Hall and Montrose Community Center.
- Vote Centers: Register to vote on Election Day at City Hall from 7 a.m. - 8 p.m., November 7. Vote on Election Day at City Hall or Thomas Farm Community Center.
Advisory Referenda Questions
For the exact wording of the questions, view Resolution 08-23.
- Lower the voting age to 16.
- Permit noncitizens to vote.
- Set term limits.
- Create representative districts.
Right to Vote
All United States citizens who live within Rockville city limits and who are 18 years of age or older as of November 7, 2023, have the right to vote in city elections. You must be a registered voter in the State of Maryland to vote in Rockville city elections.