Water Main Flushing
Rockville has a systematic flushing program to remove accumulated sediment from the water system. The city is divided into 39 districts and undergo water main flushing in cycles.
Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
2023 Scheduled Districts
- Week of April 10: District 21
- Week of April 17: District 33
- Week of May 1: District 32
- Week of May 8: District 31
- Week of May 15: District 27
- Week of June 5: District 28
- Week of June 12: District 29
- Week of June19: District 30
- Week of July 10: District 25
- Week of July 17: District 26
- Week of July 24: District 3
- Week of August 7: District 1
- Week of August 14: District 2
- Week of August 21: District 22
- Week of September 4: District 23
- Week of September 11: District 36
- Week of September 18: District 37
- Week of October 2: District 35
- Week of October 9: District 24
Some parking restrictions may occur to allow access to water valves. As flushing takes place, some temporary discoloration and low water pressure may occur.
Repairs, disruptions and maintenance to water mains may cause your water to be discolored.
If you experience discoloration, run the cold water until the water runs clear. These conditions are temporary and should clear up within 2-3 hours.
Water Main Flushing Process
The city removes the chlorine from the water prior to discharge to safeguard the environment.
- Approximately 180 miles of water pipes.
- 4,168 valves.
- 1,363 fire hydrants.
The sediment, which can cause water discoloration, degrade water quality and impede fire hydrant water flow, is removed from the pipes by the planned opening and closing of certain valves, as well as the opening of fire hydrants.
The City of Rockville is committed to providing the best possible services to customers. This work is part of ongoing efforts to improve water quality and delivery citywide.
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2023
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2022
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2021
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2020
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2019
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2018
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2017
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2016
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2015
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2014
- Annual Drinking Water Quality Report 2013