Fulton, Van Grack, Shaw, Myles, Jackson and Valeri Elected to Council Seats
Rockville, Maryland, Nov. 8 – Rockville voters elected Monique Ashton mayor with 7,190 votes, or 58.71% of the total, according to unofficial results in the City of Rockville’s vote-by-mail election, which were announced early today.
Six councilmembers were also elected: Kate Fulton; Adam Van Grack; Izola (Zola) Shaw; David Myles; Barry Jackson; and Marissa Valeri.
The Mayor and Council serve four-year terms.
Mayoral challenger Mark Pierzchala received 5,006 votes, or 40.88%. There were 51 write-in votes for mayor.
The top six vote-getters for council seats were:
- Kate Fulton, with 8,867 votes (14.47%).
- Adam Van Grack, with 7,997 votes (13.05%).
- Izola (Zola) Shaw, with 7,520 votes (12.27%).
- David Myles, with 6,114 votes (9.98%).
- Barry Jackson, with 5,919 votes (9.66%).
- Marissa Valeri, with 5,905 votes (9.64%).
Six other candidates running for council received the following votes:
- Paul Scott, with 5,054 votes (8.25%).
- Richard Gottfried, with 4,065 votes (6.63%).
- Anita Neal Powell, with 3,790 votes (6.18%).
- Ricky F. Mui, with 3,165 votes (5.16%).
- Danniel Belay, with 1,977 votes (3.23%).
- Harold Hodges, with 636 votes (1.04%).
There were 270 write-in votes for councilmembers.
In addition, the ballot included four nonbinding advisory referendum questions that allow voters to express a preference without resulting in a change to Rockville law.
- Allowing voters aged 16-17 to vote:
- Yes: 3,542
- No: 8,593
- No opinion: 249
- Allowing city residents without U.S. citizenship to vote:
- Yes: 4,150
- No: 7,857
- No opinion: 277
- Limiting elected officials to three consecutive terms:
- Yes: 9,162
- No: 2,761
- No opinion: 453
- Creating representative districts to elect some or all councilmembers:
- Yes: 5,021
- No: 6,328
- No opinion: 982
Results, which are posted at www.rockvillemd.gov/electionresults, are unofficial until certified. Results will be certified and announced Tuesday, Nov. 14. Provisional ballots may change the vote totals.
This is the 67th election in the history of the City of Rockville. A total of 12,637 ballots were cast in this election, versus 12,213 cast in 2019. The number of votes cast increased by 3.47% between 2019 and 2023.
An inauguration ceremony for the new Mayor and Council will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 19 at F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre, 603 Edmonston Drive. The inauguration is free and open to the public.
The first meeting of the new Mayor and Council is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 20 at City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave.