- Community Assistance
- Flooding Relief
- Flood Mitigation Assistance Program
Flood Mitigation Assistance Program
Pilot Program Overview
The Flood Mitigation Assistance Program offers financial assistance through matching reimbursement funds to residents and property owners who have made improvements to their properties to mitigate future damage from flooding events. The pilot program will provide up to 50% of the total costs for approved measures, up to a maximum amount of $5,000. A total of $300,000 was allocated for the program. Funds will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Rockville, MD 20850
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Program Status: OPEN
Funds Remaining: $270,000
Who May Apply
- The program is open to both residential and commercial properties, as well as homeowner associations and condominium associations.
- Renters may apply under this program only if they can provide documentation of approval by the property owners.
- If the applicant is applying on behalf of a condominium association or homeowner association, the application shall be submitted for commonly owned property areas and not individual properties within an association. Applicant must provide proof of approval by the governing board.
- Work must be completed prior to applying.
- Applicant must provide itemized receipts/invoices that include a detailed cost breakdown of specific products/actions purchased and performed.
- Eligible expenses must be incurred on or after July 1, 2019.
- Applicant must provide photographic evidence that measures have already been installed.
- All applicable permits and approvals (i.e., Inspection Services Division, Historic District Commission, Department of Public Works, Community Planning & Development Services (Forestry), homeowners/condominium association, etc.) have been obtained and proof submitted with application.
- If actions requiring permits were undertaken without the needed approvals or permits, those expenses will not be eligible for assistance reimbursement. In such cases, it may be possible for applicants to retroactively apply for permit(s) or approvals and submit appropriate documentation once issued.
- Applicant must confirm that their project and/or installation will not adversely affect neighboring property by increasing or blocking stormwater flow.
- Applicant must execute the City Waiver Agreement included in the application.
Eligible Flood Proofing Measures
View the full list of approved practices and city review requirements.
Examples of eligible practices include floodproofing windows, flood gates or panels, flood socks, temporary quick dams, sandless sandbags, battery powered sump pumps, drain tiles, elevating utilities, modifying topography, flood alert systems, portable submersible water pumps and hoses, and flood-resistant building materials.
Verify ResidencyNot all Rockville mailing addresses are within the borders of the City of Rockville. Only City of Rockville residents will qualify for assistance. Check to make sure you are a City of Rockville resident by using our address check map.
Review Project EligibilityReview the eligibility criteria above to determine if your project is eligible for reimbursement and prepare the following documents for upload:
- Photos showing proof of completed installation or items purchased.
- Itemized receipts/invoices that include a detailed cost breakdown of specific products/actions purchased and performed.
- Property owner approval (if applying as renter).
- Homeowners or condominium association approval (if applicable).
- Proof of acquired permits and approvals (if applicable).
- Documentation of flood damage encouraged but not required.
Fill Out ApplicationComplete the online application. City staff will review your application and determine eligibility.
Please allow 14 business days for application processing.
- Homeowners Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your Home From Flooding (FEMA) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>