- Weed Warriors
Weed warrior volunteers help the city by removing invasive species from park land, wooded and open space areas that can take over native plants and trees.
Qualifies for SSL hours
Join Rockville Weed Warrior Leaders for a non-native, invasive plant removal workday. MCPS SSL hours available. Space is limited and online registration is required.
- Saturday, November 14 at Mt. Vernon Park (10 a.m. to noon)
- Saturday, November 28 at RedGate Park (10 a.m. to Noon)
- Saturday, December 12 at Dawson Farm Park (10 a.m. to Noon)
- Sunday, December 27 at Twinbrook Park (10 a.m. to Noon)
- Saturday, January 9 at Wootton's Mill Park (2 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Monday, January 18 at RedGate Park (2 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
Duties to be Expected
- Volunteer can expect to spend several hours at appointed times removing invasive species at the direction of a team leader.
- Wear long pants that cover your ankles, long sleeves, and sturdy, closed-toed shoes. Bring gloves, pruners, and loppers if you have them. Gloves and tools are available to borrow if you don’t have your own. No power tools or machetes allowed. Please bring plenty of water to drink. Volunteers under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers under 16 are not permitted to use tools.
Special COVID-19 Guidelines: Volunteers must supply and wear a face covering and practice physical distancing of at least 6 feet from others. Face coverings may be removed while working outdoors and maintaining physical distancing of at least 6 feet from others. Volunteer must avoid sharing tools and equipment.
You must be a certified Weed Warrior through Montgomery Parks or working under the supervision of a certified Weed Warrior to remove invasive species from City of Rockville parks. Important Note: The Montgomery Parks Weed Warrior training and certification requires that you commit to removing invasive species in Montgomery Parks, not just the City of Rockville.
You must be physically able to move through wooded and open space areas pulling out invasive species.
Once you have completed the Weed Warrior certification or if you are interested in attending a workday supervised by a certified Weed Warrior, you can register for a workday above or submit a general application below.