Forest and Tree Preservation
Development in Rockville is subject to the city’s Forest and Tree Preservation Ordinance (FTPO), adopted under Chapter 10.5 of the City Code. Supplemental information required by the ordinance is found in the city’s Forest Conservation Manual and the city’s Environmental Guidelines. The review process incorporates industry standards and best management practices.
The purpose of the FTPO is to:
- Encourage the preservation and enhancement of Rockville’s urban forests.
- Replace tree cover in non-forest areas within the city.
- Establish procedures, standards, and requirements that protect trees and forests during and after development activity, and minimize tree loss due to development.
- Establish procedures, standards, and requirements for afforestation and reforestation of land within the city.
- Fulfill the requirements of the Maryland Forest Conservation Act (Natural Resources Article, Sections 5-1601 through 5-1613 of the Annotated Code of Maryland).
FTPO Information, Applications, and Templates
Information and Applications
- FTPO Process Basics
- FTPO Fees
- Natural Resource Inventory/Forest Stand Delineation Application
- Natural Resource Inventory/Forest Stand Delineation Checklist
- Forest Conservation Plan Application
- Forest Conservation Plan Checklist
- Forestry Permit Application
- Tree Removal Permit Application
- FTPO Conservation and Maintenance Performance Bond
- FTPO Cash Bond Form
- FTPO Letter of Credit
- The template for the Five-Year Warranty and Maintenance Agreement is available upon request.
- The template for the Forest Conservation Easement and Declaration of Covenants is available upon request.
Notes, Details, and Required Plan Preparation Charts
- Forest Conservation Plan Notes
- Soil Profile Rebuilding Specifications
- Planting Notes for Landscape Plans
Charts and Details
- A-1 Shade Tree Planting Detail
- A-2 Evergreen Tree Planting Detail
- A-3 Root Pruning Detail
- A-4 under review
- A-5 Deer Rub Protection Detail
- A-6 Tree Protection Fence Detail
- A-7 Soil Rehabilitation Detail
- A-8 Established Tree Soil Aeration Detail
- A-9 Permanent Forest Conservation Easement Signage
- A-10 Trunk Protection Detail
- Approved Crape Myrtle Cultivar List
- CTLA (Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers) Rating Template under review
- Natural Resource Inventory-Forest Conservation Plan General Notes Template
- Natural Resources Inventory/Forest Conservation Plan required Plan Charts- Multiple Tabs under review